Thursday 11 December 2008

SOULFOOD

I listened to a friend lament so bitterly about not having achieved most of what she had hoped to achieve this year. She was feeling dejected and she kept comparing herself to another friend who seems to have skyrocketed beyond anyone's imagination....she was bitter and nothing seemed to calm her storm.

I did my best to help her believe in the silver lining after every cloud and then I proceeded to work up my own storm...I went through the tides of my real and imagined 'failures', my elusive goals and my challenges and really worked myself up to a thunderous level and then I packed my bags to go home.

However as I stepped into the train station, I saw a mother and her child huddled in the corner  begging for money, food, clothing and whatever in the freezing rain and biting cold and I immediately felt a flood of shame wash over me. I gave them something and I got on on the train and then I realized... SO WHAT?! The year is ending and... 

I am not ...Oprah Winfrey yet...so what?!

I don't own Microsoft Corporation yet...so what?!

I don't own a mansion in Lekki, a private jet and 2010 Range Rover yet(vera's influence)...so what?!

Yes I have big dreams! I am gonna get there...I know I will!

However, WHAT is important is that I never have to beg for anything or stand in the freezing rain and biting cold and for all that...I should be thankful.

The year is ending and I AM THANKFUL!

 

9 comments:

tommeh said...

Hey, it's one @ a time.
I feel U on this..I really do. Similar dream awaits Pple like me, but U know, it's all steppin' stones to success..

UndaCovaSista said...

Been an interesting year for me as well. Thankfulness is a good state of mind to have. And as the bible says 'Hope makes us not ashamed...'

doug said...

Lovely lovely toons. A very inspiring post. Reminds me of me in innumerable ways.lol.

I watched a series a few weeks back in which a wiser older man told a younger, less wise woman:

'Patience is a hard lesson to learn for people of great ambition. But its benefits are deeply rewarding'

Anonymous said...

there are so many things I still havent accomplished....but I still have all next year...lol

Buki said...

@Tommeh - Thank you...but sometimes the stones seem to become rocks and your feet starts to feel weary but I am never going to quit climbing those steps.

@UndaCovaSista - I'll remain thankful and hopeful...How are you?

@doug - Patience eh...I need that badly, don't I?...Sometimes we just wish our hands will turn into wings and we can scale to the utmost heights in a second...but I'll be patient.

@Kin'shar - lol! I still have next year too and the next and the next one after and...

LG said...

i'm thankful for everything
*happy w'end

Buttercup said...

its only human to complain n not be grateful for what we do have..

love the toons!

how r u sweetie??

Jinta said...

so what, indeed

Buki said...

@ LG - Thanks love...the weekend was a blast!

@ Buttercup - Humans! We can never get enough, can we? And I am fine, thanks for asking.

@ Jinta - Yeah! So what,indeed.